Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hobbies

We all have diversions for those times when we have to get away from real life. Most are happy with one, but I have two. When the weather's nice, chances are I'll be on the road somewhere on my scooter.



While I was in the Navy I saw a very large part of the world (mostly the wet parts). I have ridden for about 35 years, but after I rejoined the civilian world, I decided to see the Good Old U.S. of A. What better way to do that than on a Goldwing??? I've been riding this baby for 3 years now and have seen quite a lot. The picture at right was taken at Bald River Falls on the Cherohala Skyway just outside of Tellico Plains TN. I look forward to several more years of exploring and seeing this great country.






My other main interest is working with wood. I have piddled with it for several years and got pretty good with the limited amount of stuff I tried. However, I recently bought a wood lathe. I am finding out I have a little bit of artist in me. I know that sounds a little strange for those who know me, but it is what it is. When I put a piece of wood on my lathe and begin to work it, I am amazed at what I find in each piece. Even 2 pieces of wood from the same tree can come out entirely different. It just amazes me.



Here are my first attempts at goblets. I was very pleased with them. Apparently some others I showed them to were also impressed (or were trying not to hurt my feelings). They are made from spalted oak, cherry and walnut pieces glued together and turned on the lathe.









And here is a bowl I turned recently. The main part of the bowl is made of bodock and the rim is cherry. I have a cherry base ready to go on it but had to order a new attachment for the lathe to finish the bottom.









Here is another bowl that I made from just strips of bodock, cherry and walnut glued together. After gluing and drying, I cut the resulting board into circles and stacked them to turn. I thought it was a good experiment. A learning adventure at least. Here it is still attached to the lathe with out a finish on it. The shine on the wood is the natural shine from a VERY slick, smooth sanding job. It took more time to sand it smooth than to turn it.







Here is another small bowl I turned. It is made out of a piece of catawba. It needs some more work, so it will go back on the lathe for more sanding and finish




I have even gone so far as to name my woodworking shop (very presumptuous, don't you think?). It took a while to come up with the perfect name for my place of play, but finally it came to me. I asked myself ,"Self, what do you do best?" The answer was simple and obvious. The thing I do best is make sawdust. And lots of it. So the natural name for my workspace was The Sawdust Factory. A very fitting tribute to my skills.


As I move forward with my diversions, I will update periodically. Back later with more.














































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Woodworking Projects and a great blog. Let's see some more soon. Love Ya Bro!! Sweet Enchantress